Assistant or Associate Professor of Instruction in Spanish Language
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese at Northwestern University invites applications for several full-time, benefits-eligible, non-tenure eligible teaching-track faculty positions at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor of Instruction in the Spanish Language Program, to begin on September 1, 2022. The initial term of the appointments will be three years.
Responsibilities include teaching two Spanish language courses per quarter, strong commitment to curricular and professional development, and course coordination.
Requirements include native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English, experience teaching Spanish as a second/foreign language, and expertise in current teaching methodologies and in the use of technology in the classroom. A Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition, Applied Linguistics, or in a field related to Spanish language instruction is required. Ph.D.s in literary studies with demonstrated experience in Spanish language instruction and coordination will also be considered. A research profile in foreign language and/or heritage learners’ pedagogy and familiarity with the ACTFL proficiency guidelines and current foreign/second language pedagogical practices is desired. An ability to teach Portuguese language is also welcome.
Review of applications will begin on November 15th, 2021, and continue until positions are filled.
Applicants must submit a letter of application, CV, teaching portfolio (statement of teaching philosophy, course syllabi, teaching evaluations from 2-3 recently taught courses) and 3 contacts for letters of recommendation to the application link. For more information, please contact Professor César Braga-Pinto at email@example.com
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please apply here.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF.
However, the first method is preferred because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation.
NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors, otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
- Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the size of any large PDF files before uploading.
- File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
- The size of the writing sample should be equivalent to a single journal article or book chapter; it may be published or unpublished. Only one sample need be submitted.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.
Back to top