Online Placement Test
SPANISH ONLINE PLACEMENT TEST 2023-2024
All first-year students who plan to fulfill a language requirement or would like to continue with their study of Spanish, and all transfer students who plan to take Spanish MUST take the online placement test before registering for courses (Unless you have the indicated AP scores.)
The Spanish Placement Test is offered online over the summer and during the academic year.
* FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THE SPANISH PLACEMENT TEST BY July 31st.
Take Spanish online placement test:
Access your results at the same site.
If you take the placement test before July 31st, your results will be posted online at the same URL on or before August 2nd.
If you take the placement test after August 1st, your results will be posted online at the same URL on or before Sept. 1st.
If you take the placement test after Sept. 1st, your results will be posted online at the same URL as above within 48 hours after you have completed the exam.
Seats reserved for first-year students taking Spanish 101-1, 121-1, 125, 201 and 204 in Fall 2023 will be available during New Student Registration period. Please click on the Course Notes in CAESAR for more details.
*If you score high enough on the online portion, you will earn “reassessment” on the placement exam. The “REASSESSMENT” (oral interview and written composition) will be required to confirm your level of proficiency. This follow-up exam will determine whether you have satisfied the Weinberg language requirement and/or qualify for 200-level Spanish courses.
Reassessment of the placement test:
(No appointment necessary)
Spanish Reassessment Session
Open to all students who earned "reassessment" on the online placement exam.
Date: Thursday, Sept. 7th, 2023
Students who have earned a “reassessment” on the online placement exam will be emailed the Zoom information.
Other than the September session, Reassessment of the placement test will be held once per quarter with dates here. Once you have retrieved your placement exam results (indicating “Reassessment”), email Elisa Baena, Placement Coordinator, to sign-up.
Before registering for Spanish courses at Northwestern, you MUST take the online Spanish placement test unless any of the following applies to you:
- Your AP exam scores in Spanish language AND literature are both 5. You have satisfied the Weinberg language requirement in Spanish. We encourage you to continue your Spanish studies at Northwestern. You have fulfilled the prerequisites to now take Spanish 205-0, 206-0, 208-0, 250-0, 251-0, 260-0, 261-0, 280-0, 281-0, or 302-0. If you have questions, please consult any departmental undergraduate adviser.
- Your AP exam score in Spanish language OR literature is a 5. You have satisfied the Weinberg language requirement in Spanish. We encourage you to continue your Spanish studies at Northwestern. Please register for Spanish 200-0 Advanced Spanish for Heritage Language Learners or Spanish 204: Advanced Spanish II: Artivism in Times of Political Change. If you have any questions, please email Julia Oliver Rajan (200-0) or Denise Bouras (204-0)
- Your AP exam score in Spanish language and/or literature is a 4. You have satisfied the Weinberg language requirement in Spanish. To continue your Spanish studies at Northwestern, you'll need to register for Spanish 201-0 Advanced Spanish I: Contemporary Latin America. First-year students are advised to take this course in fall quarter. If you have any questions about Spanish 201-0, please email Reyes Moran.
- Your AP exam score in Spanish language is a 3. You will satisfy the Weinberg language requirement in Spanish by taking Spanish 125-0: Accelerated Intermediate Spanish or Spanish 127-0: Accelerated Intermediate Spanish for Heritage Language Learners and passing the course with a C- or better. All new students should take one of these course immediately in fall, as they are only offered in fall quarter. If you have any questions about Spanish 125-0, please email Irene Finestrat Martinez; or questions about Spanish 127-0, please email Julia Oliver Rajan.
- You took high school Spanish for less than two years. To continue your Spanish studies at Northwestern, you may register for SPANISH 101-1, offered only in fall quarter. If you have any questions, please email Eider Etxebarria.
The Spanish placement test is given online only. You should take the test before coming to campus in the fall. If you don’t have access to the internet, you may take the placement test on a computer in your student residence or in a computer lab as soon as you arrive on campus.
*IF YOU ARE WAITING FOR YOUR AP RESULTS YOU MUST WAIT FOR THOSE RESULTS. DO NOT TAKE THE ONLINE PLACEMENT EXAM.*
If you have Spanish placement questions please email the Spanish Placement Coordinator, Elisa Baena (email@example.com)