Spanish and Portuguese Language Program Tutoring Service:
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is committed to providing resources to assist students beyond the classroom and provides free Spanish and Portuguese tutoring for all students enrolled in our courses. Students are encouraged to take advantage of this service to help them improve their language skills, and whether they need help with a specific aspect related to their course or they want to get more general practice. Spanish tutoring is provided through Zoom at this time (set-up and support: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us). Portuguese tutoring is in person in Kresge 3-533.
Who should come to the Spanish or Portuguese tutoring service:
Students enrolled in all the Spanish and Portuguese courses offered by the Spanish Language Program.
Meet your Spanish tutor:
Type of help you can request from the tutoring service:
• speaking/ conversational practice
• general reading comprehension practice
• general listening comprehension practice
• general writing practice
• general pronunciation practice
• help with grammar concepts/ explanations
Type of help you cannot request from the tutoring service:
• editing assignments that you need to turn in, including homework assignments, compositions, take-home exams, etc.
• working on a specific assignment that will have a grade associated with it, such as (but not limited to): oral presentations, specific listening comprehension activities, specific reading comprehension activities, group projects, etc.
• any other assignment that is part of the student's course work
For this kind of help, please, contact your professor or instructor directly and work with them during office hours.
Types of appointments you can make with the tutor:
• 25 minutes: for shorter/focused consultations (i.e. speaking practice or listening comprehension practice, pronunciation practice...)
• 50 minutes: for longer consultations (i.e. if you have difficulties with complex grammar points that may need longer explanations and practice, reading practice, writing practice...)
• 25 minutes: for "walk-ins" (non-scheduled appointments: go to your Canvas course site, button "Announcements", for Zoom link.)
Spring 2023 Spanish Tutoring Hours
Thursdays: 11:00am- 1:30pm
How to make an appointment with the Spanish tutor:
• use the link to the Bookings system to access the tutor's calendar and to make an appointment. You will need your NU NetID and password to access this scheduling system. Please note the use of Microsoft Outlook 365 is required. To download it, please follow the instructions on the link "Microsoft Outlook 365".
• choose the length of the appointment (25 mins or 50 mins) based on your needs
• indicate the reason for your appointment in the "Comments" box provided
After making the appointment, you will receive a confirmation email and the Zoom link to access your meeting with the tutor. If you need to cancel your appointment, please, email the tutor as soon as possible.
For walk-ins (without an appointment), please, go to your Canvas course site ("Announcements") to find the Zoom link for the tutoring service.
Meet your Portuguese tutor:
Katherine Ferreira O'Connor
Olá, gente! My name is Katherine Ferreira O'Connor (they/elu/ela) and I am a second-year undergraduate student at Northwestern. I study Social Policy and Portuguese, with a developing interest in Brazilian power structures. Outside of studying Portuguese in the classroom, I am a heritage speaker of the language: meaning I grew up speaking it at home with my mother and on frequent visits to family in Minas Gerais, Brazil. I'd love to connect and support your language learning throughout the quarter!
Please feel free to connect with me via email or sign up here if you are needing support working through grammar rules, reading through a text, preparing for a test, or just conversation practice! My tutoring hours through Spring quarter are Tuesdays 10:00-11:00 AM and Wednesdays 2:00-3:00 PM, in Kresge 3-533. Walk-ins welcome! If you cannot join me in person then, feel free to schedule alternative/remote meeting times with me over email: email@example.com
Comments about the tutoring service:
We welcome your feedback about the service. If you want to let us know how much the tutor has helped you, or if you have some comments about how to improve the service, please, email the Assistant Director of the Spanish Language Program, Elena Lanza, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to top