Spanish Writing Center
Spanish Writing Center
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is committed to providing resources to assist students beyond the classroom. The Spanish Writing Center (SWC) allows students to revise their essays for upper-level Spanish courses or to work with any specific aspect of the writing process. Students are strongly encouraged to take advantage of any and all resources offered by the department.
Who should come to the Spanish Writing Center:
Students enrolled in Spanish 210 or higher.
How to make an appointment with a tutor:
Students can schedule an appointment for up to 50 minutes. All the appointments are via Zoom. If you prefer to have an appointment in person, just email one of the SWC tutors for their availability. Students are encouraged to schedule 2 appointments per paper.
Prior to you scheduled appointment:
- Email your paper as a Google Doc to the tutor’s email address provided below. Please make sure you have given permission to make edits on it. In the drop-down menu, select: “Anyone with a link can edit.”
- In your email include the prompt and the instructions given by your professor.
- Papers up to 3 pages, please email them 20 mins prior to your Zoom appointment.
- Papers longer than 3 pages, please email them 24 hours prior to your Zoom appointment.
Use the links below to access the tutor's calendar to make an appointment:
You will need your NU NetID and password to access this scheduling system. Please note the use of Microsoft Outlook 365 is required. If you have not yet created your account, please follow the instructions on the link "Microsoft Outlook 365" to download it. Appointment slots with tutors are available for booking up to two weeks in advance.
Spanish Writing Center Tutors:
At the time of the appointment:
The tutor will:
- discuss grammar mistakes with you.
- make suggestions on how to revise/improve the structure of your essay.
- explain and answer specific grammar rules.
- discuss choice of words/grammar/syntax errors that may obscure meaning.
- plan appointments with you, if needed, to continue revision on the essay.
The tutor will not:
- proofread papers.
- provide assistance with content.
What you should expect:
- Improvement in knowledge of vocabulary, grammar and writing skills in Spanish.
- Development of your self-revision and self-editing skills as a part of the writing process.
How to cancel an appointment with the tutor:
- Use the Scheduling System: Log into our scheduling systen and locate your upcoming appointment. Click on the cancellation option provided to ensure it is properly removed from the system.
- Notify the Tutor: As a courtesy, please send an email to your tutor at your earliest convenience. This allows them to adjust their schedule accordingly.
For general questions or special accommodations, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org